Sunday, February 3, 2013

I'm on a camel, yah!



Check and check! I got 2 bucket list items crossed off the list this week! This past week we spent in Jordan. We had the opportunity to visit Mt. Nebo where Moses was first shown the Promise Land and where he was translated. We went to a few more stops and then had a four hour bus ride to our hotel. The next day was was full of adventure. We walked through the "valley of the crescent moon" which looked quite a lot like southern Utah. As we approached the great wonder of the world, everyone started to sing the Indiana Jones theme song and then it was right in front of us--PETRA!!! Check number one: visit a wonder of the world. We were all taking pictures when three men came riding on CAMELS!!! And yep, you guessed it. I rode a camel. Check number 2! The camel ride was certainly the highlight but after that we went exploring through the city. I had no idea that Petra was an entire city!! We hiked to this ancient Monastery and that was pretty cool. At the end of the trip we got to ride horses out of Petra back to the gift shops at the beginning of the trail. That was way fun! Unfortunately the horse ride was too much for my brand new camera and something inside it came loose and now it is broken. Luckily I have another small camera I can use, but farewell to "artsy" pictures. The highlight of the next day was easily Jerash. This is the place I did my report on and it was way cooler in person than in books. It was like the city of Hercules but in real life! Ancient roman temples, pillars, fountains, and more! I was sad we didn't have more time to spend there. It was a long four days and by the end I was very ready to come back to the center. It was such a luxury to be able to drink from the facet and eat fresh fruits and veggies again. And to not be sitting a bus all day...it was good to be back! Also, we got really lucky the day of Petra because it was perfect weather when we went and the next day it was pouring rain where we were and snowing in Petra! 

No comments:

Post a Comment