Sunday, January 13, 2013

Let's Get Lost





Wow what a day! It's been a full day of adventure lets just say that! It began this morning at 8:30 am when our teachers took us on a four hour tour of the old city of Jerusalem. We trekked up to Damascus Gate from the Center, with a few stops on the way where we were taught about Herodian stones, Orson Hyde's dedication of Jerusalem and more. Entering Damascus gate was like entering another world. We winded through several paths that were packed with shops on either sides. It reminded me a bit of China town except really old and Israeli. We stopped at a Austrian Hospice where we got on the roof and could over look all of east and west Jerusalem. It was incredible! Then we made our way to the church of the Holy Sepulcher. That was interesting to see, especially the actions of the people that were there. It was a very very different experience from the Garden Tomb. The church itself is extremely dark and cold. After navigating through more narrow alleyways of the Old City we made it to the monument of the Tower of David. That led us out of the Old City and in to west Jerusalem. It was like walking into to a different county. All of a sudden there were segways, highways, nice shopping stores and restaurants. There was even Yogurtland! We explored there for a little while before meeting back. Half of us went back to the center while the other half stayed in the city. I chose to stay and we headed back to the Old City. All we wanted to do was get lost and we certainly did just that! Every vendor we walked passed said, "Ohhh the Mormons!" There were several that made us come into their shop and one even had us all dress up in Arab clothing and took pictures of us "free of charge!" Somehow we wound up back at Damascus gate without even trying. We decided to go visit Omar, the best olive wood carver in town. He showed us all over his shop and talked to us for awhile. When we were about to leave he said he was going to the center so he could give us a ride. Now I know right now that my dad is freaking out at the thought of me getting into this olive wood carver's car but I can assure you, he is perfectly trustworthy. The center loves him and he loves us. He was sure to show us his pictures with Pres. Benson, Hinckley and tell us about his good friend Elder Holland. Somehow we crammed six of us into Omar's tiny car and he drove us back to the center where I came back and took an extremely long nap! Let's just say that we definitely fulfilled our goal to get lost and somehow we found our way back home. What a day!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you survived getting lost. Ironically, Omar came and picked me up at the hotel I was staying at 23 years ago and brought me back to his shop. I was a bit nervous as I didn't really know him and here I was all by myself late at night riding in the car of an Arab guy I didn't know. He was great and I bought several items from him. He told me the story of having spent time in an Israeli jail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Omar! He is wonderful. I bought my olive wood nativity set from him. :)Hint: Get it shipped!

    ReplyDelete